www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mohammad Noureldin <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using content from StackOverflow
Date Mon, 12 May 2014 20:43:58 GMT
Hi Andrea

   Thanks for reviewing my draft, please read my reply inline...

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Mohammad Noureldin wrote:
>>
>> "Qn: Can an Apache project use content from non ASF sources (forums,
>> mailing lists, etc...)?"
>

> Both "use" and "content" are quite vague. OpenOffice, for example, still
> hosts on the site and wiki old documentation that is not under ALv2. We
> don't include it releases, of course, and I believe this is the key
> difference (and this is probably the reason why this thread initially
> focused on "code" rather than generically "content").

Under which license that documentation is ? If you look at [0], you
will see at the footer "Copyright © 2011-2012 The Apache Software
Foundation Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0" that means
that the content is under that indicated license even if you don't
include it in releases

True the initial intention by Henri was more focused on the usage of
code in an ASF project, but we are trying to take the chance to
address the question in a general way, which is:
"Taking content, whether code and/or documentation, and incorporate it
in an ASF project, whether this content will be included in releases
or hosted on any of the ASF servers, as part of the web site for
example"

Allow me to add more details on what I was trying to address when I
wrote that draft:
1- Address any type of content (code, documentation, etc...). Code is
not the only thing that can be copy pasted from other locations. Code
is not the only content that is licensed.

ex 1.1: If a question has been asked on SO about one of the ASF
projects and there was a really good answer to it, is it OK for a
committer to copy paste the question and answer and add it to the FAQ
section of the website of that project ? (notice here that the
contents of the ASF project's website are not included in the release,
but the content is licensed under the Apache License while the content
that was copy pasted is not, on the contrary it is under a license
that is not compatible with the Apache License)

ex 1.2: Imagine the same scenario as in 1.1 but instead of copy
pasting it to the web site the committer/user copy pasted the answer
to the mailing list as a reply to the same/similar question on the
dev@ or users@. Is that OK ? in this case I am not really sure
(someone corrects me if I am wrong please), but I would say No, as the
contents of these mailing lists are publicly available and anything
contributed to these mailing lists is assumed to be owned by the ASF
and under the Apache License

2- Address the different destinations of this content when it comes to
make it available via any of the ASF related channels, like mailing
lists, code repositories (whether for code or documentation) and ASF
hosted web sites

3- And for sure addressing the obvious case in which someone commits,
whether directly or via a patch, content to one of the ASF projects

Maybe I widened the scope more than we want ? Maybe, but I want to
address it in a way that is not related to a certain source of content
or certain license, otherwise we will end adding a different Q&A for
each of these sources

Would someone please comment on my reply so I update my draft accordingly ?

Looking forward to your feedback

[0] http://openoffice.apache.org/

> Regards,
>   Andrea.