www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mohammad Noureldin <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using content from StackOverflow
Date Sun, 11 May 2014 22:29:59 GMT
Hi

   Here is my draft:

"Qn: Can an Apache project use content from non ASF sources (forums,
mailing lists, etc...)?"

"Ans: It totally depends on the source from which the content will be
taken. If the content is taken from sources (forums, mailing lists,
blogs, online books, general websites, etc...) is under a license that
is not compliant with the Apache License, in that case you need to get
clearance about that from the owners of that content, that is make
sure that they are willing to give you the content under the Apache
License or one of the "Category A: Authorized Licenses" (the quoted
text should appear as a link to:
https://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html).
It is highly important to get this clearance recorded as an evidence
pereferrably via e-mail.

Example:  Can I take content from StackOverflow ? By default the
answer is No, as the content published on StackOverflow (and
associated sites) is under the "CC-SA license" with attribution
required (the quoted text should appear as a link to the license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), including any code.
This is a strong copyleft license and as such unlikely to be in
"Category A: Authorized Licenses". In this case you need the clearance
as explained above.
"

Wdyt ?

Notes: The links notes are intended to show as links on ASF website

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Noureldin