www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mohammad Noureldin <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using content from StackOverflow
Date Tue, 13 May 2014 08:20:15 GMT
Hi David

   I read both the "official" reference [0] and the ICLA [1] (thanks
for your directions). Now based on [2] (which is the interpretation of
the SO folks for "attribution required") and based on what is
explained in both [0] & [1], I would like to discuss these three
questions:

1- Can a committer take content (code, documentation, etc...) from
sources, like SO for example, and incorporate/commit it into one of
the ASF projects repositories from which sources are released ?

2- Can a committer take content (code, documentation, etc...) from
sources, like SO for example, and incorporate/commit it into one of
the ASF projects' websites ?

3- Can a user  (someone with no signed ICLA filed)/committer take
content (code, documentation, etc...) from sources, like SO for
example, and incorporate it into one of the ASF projects' mailing
lists ?

My answers (based on my understanding):

Answer -1&2: No, unless they comply with the "attributions" required
and explained in [2], which is not compatible with what is explained
in [0], or they get an OK from the content owners to take and
republish the content under the Apache License or one of the "Category
A" licenses [3]

Answer - 3:
  3.1: For the user case, I would say it does not count as they are
not expected to be aware about this kind of limitations
  3.2: For the committer case, it depends as in [2] (quoting):

"So let me clarify what we mean by attribution. If you republish this
content, we require that you:..."

         what does "republish" mean when it comes to sending this
content on one of ASF projects'  mailing lists ? If sending such
         content to a mailing list is considered "republishing" then
committers MUST take this into account, if not then it is OK just to
         take this content and "republish" it via that mailing list

I hope I explained what I would like to address from Henri's case into
a generic one in a better way this time, taking into account the
right/official sources

Looking forward to your feedback

[0] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt