www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 01:12:26 GMT
On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Imo the following points are not yet clear
>
> * what does 'release' mean in the proposal.
>  + are there different 'release' terms in the proposal?

The release definition section in the draft is closely derived from the "What
is a Release?" FAQ at <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what>.

You are welcome to propose modifications, though I think it would be dicey
to stray much from what's on the current policy page.

> * is the 72h a MUST or SHOULD.

Note "should":

    Votes should generally be permitted to run for at least 72 hours to
    provide an opportunity for all concerned persons to participate regardless
    of their geographic locations.

> * are we allowed to do snapshot builds for the public?
>  + do we need to do this via a special (even more) exclusion of liability?

My fallback on this is to revert the "Publication" section of the proposed
draft to language extracted verbatim from the current policy page:

    ## Publication ## {#publication}

    During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
    packages are made available to the developer community for testing
    purposes. **Do not include any links on the project website that might
    encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
    release candidates, or any other similar package.** The only people who
    are supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev
    list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed
    on the package. If you find that the general public are downloading such
    test packages, then remove them.

    Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for releases. If
    this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often. Proper release
    management is a key aspect of Apache software development.

That's a bit long for my taste, but if this section is to be contended, it may
be the only way forward.

Marvin Humphrey