www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 05:51:28 GMT
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> FWIW, my response could be:
>
>   You can pound your head in the sand, expecting that every release
>   does not need to be downladed, compiled, tested by every PMC member
>   casting a +1, or simply accept the idea that, yes, an automated and
>   potentially buggy CI process is no substitute for a healthy, engaged
>   and responsible PMC.

If I set up CI and it runs extended tests for an RC on 10 different platforms
I don't have and I pore over the logs and doublecheck the checksums... I'd
like to think most people would see that as "engaged" and "responsible".

Even if a CI rig happens to be buggy, the potential failure modes are
perfectly manageable in the context of releasing.

I'd still download every source package and diff the expanded content against
an export from version control for security and other reasons.  But as far as
building and testing release candidates, CI gets the job done better with less
effort -- freeing up time for the community to focus on other tasks.

Marvin Humphrey