www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Sat, 31 May 2014 03:42:57 GMT
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Joseph Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since when?  Since this month maybe, but for the past decade the board has
> entrusted infra with stewardship of the release policy.  After all that's
> why it's in /dev in the first place.

I was not aware that Infrastructure was tasked with stewarding the existing
release policy page because that information was missing from the text and I
didn't realize that Infra was accountable for all content under
<www.apache.org/dev>.

The lack of transparency as to how Apache release policy gets evolved and the
(seeming) lack of a specific maintainer are actually two points which the
draft proposal attempts to rectify.  The existence of a defined steward makes
things easier.

> If this board is dissatisfied with that relationship they can bloody well
> move the document to another part of the tree.

The reasons I selected legal-discuss as a venue were best articulated earlier
by Mark Thomas[1] but the issue of which committee has jurisdiction is not
crucial.  What's truly important is settling on a finite release policy
authoritatively defined by concrete text -- rather than a semi-solid release
policy whose finer features are defined by Board member proclamations spread
out over fifteen years of random email archives and whose ultimate meaning is
undiscoverable by mere mortals.  If the Infra VP can deliver that, fine
with me.

Discussion on the subject of policy clarification seems to have hit a lull;
once things stay quiet for a day or two more, I'll raise the issue with Infra.
For what it's worth, I didn't engage in the meta-debates over venue earlier
mostly because attempting to transplant a fast-moving conversation would have
been chaotic and futile.

Anticipating that some may favor Legal Affairs for stewardship, my response is
that I'd prefer to hear from Infra on their own turf first.

Joe, what public list should I take this to?

Marvin Humphrey

[1] http://markmail.org/message/n2lpb4d6ve352bej