www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 19:55:55 GMT
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> basically a good idea, but

:)

> a.) why is this on legal-discuss?

*   board@apache is private, and this should be discussed in public.
*   The Legal Affairs committee is being asked to curate the policy.
*   dev@community.apache.org would have been another possibility, but is not
    where Legal Affairs does business.

> b.) the section about nightly builds, snapshots and release candidates is
> counter productive. We sometimes need this feedback and the ability of our
> users to validate bugfixes themselfs. Just think about projects like OpenJPA
> and TomEE which take an hour to build and even some special environment
> tweaks to build at all (e.g. increase the ulimit for open files...)

That's the existing policy.

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

    Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the group
    that owns it. In our case, that means any publication outside the group of
    people on the product dev list. If the general public is being instructed
    to download a package, then that package has been released. Each PMC must
    obey the ASF requirements on approving any release. How you label the
    package is a secondary issue, described below.

    During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
    packages are made available to the developer community for testing
    purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that might
    encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
    release candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
    supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
    (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
    package. If you find that the general public are downloading such test
    packages, then remove them.

    Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for releases. If
    this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often. Proper release
    management is a key aspect of Apache software development.

The fact that you are inspired to object only now demonstrates how badly we
need policy clarification.

Marvin Humphrey