www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Clarified Release Policy
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 15:28:46 GMT
On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>> that PMC votes alone are binding until the Board grants an exception.

> Perhaps we should make the meaning of binding clear within this document
> scope. It’s mentioned at end of
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#Vote , perhaps:
>
> A binding vote is a vote cast by a PMC member for that given project.

I believe that the language of the draft addresses your concern --
specifically, the last sentence in this excerpt:

    ## Release approval ## {#release-approval}

    Each PMC MUST obey the ASF requirements on approving any release.

    For a release vote to pass, a minimum of three positive votes and more
    positive than negative votes MUST be cast.  Releases may not be vetoed.
    Votes cast by PMC members are binding.

    [...]

>> > I think there should be a requirement to ensure that the contents of
>> > the source package agrees with the SCM tag, as that is the only
>> > practical way to ensure provenance of the released code.
>
> A+

If such a policy change is to be enacted, it needs to be done separately from
this initiative.

Marvin Humphrey