www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 19:03:47 GMT
Hi,

> But under that logic, why not make it 75 hours or 96 hours?  I don't think
> Flex will make it 1 hour or even 8 hours, especially for the first RC.

I'm not sure where you are getting these numbers from , looking at the last couple of Apache
Flex releases we have (roughly):
Flex 4.12.1 RC2  votes in 4 hours,  20 hours, 48 hours and 68 hours (all +1)
Flex JS RC3  votes in 43 hours, 48 hours, 70 hours and  72 hours (all +1)
Flex JX RC4 votes in 43 hours, 48 hours and 72 hours (all  +1)

Early RCs may get a -1 vote early one, but in that case the release manage has the option
of cancelling the vote early if it is a significant issue.

>  We have tried to encourage their participation in voting on release candidates but we
> rarely get more than a one or two non-PMC votes even though we do wait the
> 72 hours.

I agree this is an issue, although quite of few of the nonPMC voters have ended up become
committers so it is encouraging some community involvement.

The main issues I see is getting more people to take on the roles of being the release manager
and making a new releases once issues are found, but that's more resources/time required to
fix an issue rather than than not being able to vote on a new release in under 72 hours.

> They don't want to spend the time testing an RC when that RC may not
> be the one that makes it out the door and then have to find more time to
> test the next RC.

A new RC  (even one with issues) is going to have a lot more bugs fixed and features than
the previous official release. I think we just need to promote the advantages of the new RCs
more.

Thanks,
Justin