www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 14:22:04 GMT
Hey I'm not saying that we can cut out the social bits at all. I am just
saying that we need to consider them separately.

There is the legal stuff which covers our ass and - while annoying - is
acceptable to remain as some minimal manual steps.

There is the social stuff which prevents our blushes. For complex projects
this type of thing may need more than 72 hours worth of testing. For
example it can be hard to get the full confidence in a Maven release in
just 72 hours of testing... despite having a good suite of integration
tests... For more complex projects, e.g. Cassandra, the testing
requirements are much more.

I don't think we can remove the social stuff... but we can make it a lot
less mundane. Having a CI system do a large chunk of the work is a good way
to do this... Then again I always argue that you need to retain at least
one manual test to try and stop the "well the selenium tests still found
the bits of the UI they were looking for because they were on the page...
just down at the bottom underneath the big ugly stack trace" kinds of bugs
from slipping into the released product.