www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 18:49:01 GMT
Hi,

> As discussed at ApacheCon Denver and elsewhere, I propose to migrate ASF
> Release Policy from FAQ-style to MUST/SHOULD/MAY imperative style, and
> to give Legal Affairs custodial responsibility for maintaining it.
+1

> During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
> packages are made available to the developer community for testing
> purposes. **Projects MUST NOT take any action that might
> encourage non-developers to download or use nightly builds, snapshots,
> release candidates, or any other similar package.** The only people who are
> supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
> (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
> package.

We do need to sometimes point non-developers to a nightly release so that they can confirm
that a JIRA bug they have raised has been fixed, so perhaps change to "people following the
dev list or are involved in fixing a bug"? I can think of one or two cases were we pointed
someone to the nightly as it fixes a bug they required and they were unwilling to compile
form source.

> Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which MUST be
> sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided they have
> access to the appropriate platform and tools.

Do we need to clarify test here? For the Apache Flex project we don't include the mustella
tests in the release as this would add 600Mb to the release and the tests take 8+ hours to
run. However developers / users can check out the tests from version control and run if they
need - they are tagged for each release. A release is not made unless the tests pass.

>  All artifacts within the directory MUST be signed by a committer, preferably a PMC member.

May want to add "Files such README, RELEASE_NOTES, LICENSE, KEYS MAY be added for convenience"?
These files don't need to be signed I assume.

Thanks,
Justin