www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 19:05:55 GMT
On 22.05.2014, at 20:55, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:

> During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
> packages are made available to the developer community for testing
> purposes. **Projects MUST NOT take any action that might
> encourage non-developers to download or use nightly builds, snapshots,
> release candidates, or any other similar package.** The only people who are
> supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
> (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
> package.

IMHO this fundamentally contradicts the spirit of open source development.
In the next step, only people with an Apache account are permitted to
access these lists, and I don't even want to fathom what might follow
up to that...

To me, this section kind of implies that the non-developer might
expect some kind of quality even from the released and published artifacts.
This is not the case. Every sane every open source license contains
a liability disclaimer (See sections 7 and 8 of the ASL).

Just my 10 ct,

-- Richard