www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 12:09:49 GMT
Le 29/05/2014 17:47, Jim Jagielski a écrit :
> On May 29, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Le 29/05/2014 15:56, Jim Jagielski a écrit :
>>> I disagree. And until the policy is changed, PMCs and
>>> RMs are expected and *required* to comply.
>> Yes, but actually, most f the PMCs and RMs *aren't* Like it or not.

>> And, yes, it's probably a good idea to fix the policy if it can't be
>> enforced.
>>
> To be clear: If it is found out that there are "releases" out
> there that really aren't releases, the board will tell the
> PMC to:
>
>   1: Remove those releases immediately.
>   2: Re-release those "releases" as real releases
>      by complying w/ the release policy (basically,
>      taking those "releases" and doing the required
>      vetting and voting).
>
> The board can, and will, also remove a PMCs ability
> to "release" stuff if it refuses to comply with the
> release policy. So it can be enforced. It is being
> enforced. It will be enforced.

This is not an enforcement. This is a punishment. And it's totally vain.

Unless the board is ready to check all the releases for all the 151
projects, and verify that *every* PMC member is eventually going through
the whole process, this is just a void statement.

Btw, just tell me how you are going to control that ? I'm curious...
OTOH, we van make it easier for the PMC members to cast a vote, by
verifying the output of a documented/replayable process, which will take
a few minutes instead of hours in some cases. How possibly can someone
object that it would be a progress ?