www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 21:49:18 GMT
On 23/05/2014 21:51, Brian LeRoux wrote:

<snip/>

> Earlier:
>
> "But the point already got covered and answered dozens of times imo. The
> answer is that the ALv2 protects the foundation and also the release
> manager already for all bona fides cases. End of story."

I have not seen that statement expressed in any previous discussion I
can recall about the release policy by a board member, V.P. Legal or one
of our lawyers.

It also appears to me (as a non-lawyer) to be obviously false.

If $BigCo decides tomorrow that some Tomcat feature infringes one or
more patents that $BigCo owns and therefore $BigCo decides to sue me as
the release manager then I don't see anything in the ALv2 that helps me.

However, I do so the release policy allowing me to say "Hang on. I
didn't release that, the ASF did. Take this up with them." as well as
the ASF saying "You did everything you were meant to. We'll do
everything we can to redirect this hassle from you to us."

Now there is the question of whether the court in question would allow
the ASF to step in in my place (I'm sure there is a legal term for that
but I forget what it is) but I do recall discussions that concluded that
the release policy makes it much, much more likely that the court would
allow that.

> Is the above statement incorrect also?

It appears so to me.

Mark