www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 20:19:48 GMT
On 23/05/2014 21:04, Joe Bowser wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 23/05/2014 Brian LeRoux wrote:
>>>
>>> Furthermore some projects such as OpenOffice mentioned
>>> earlier do not follow the policy.
>>

>> OpenOffice does follow the policy. The only "special" thing OpenOffice did
>> is to advertise development snapshots towards version 4.1 (these are NOT
>> releases! we conduct formal votes on ALL releases, including beta releases!)
>> outside the dev mailing list since we have a dedicated QA mailing lists and
>> a testers community that does not coincide with our developers. And this was
>> discussed in advance with both the board and the infrastructure lists.
>>

> So, a snapshot is not a release?

A snapshot is a release if only if it has been voted on as such by the
PMC. It would also have to be tagged as part of the release which to my
mind means it isn't really a snapshot. However the label that is
attached to the release (RC, beta, stable, snapshot, etc.) is
irrelevant. What matters is did the PMC vote on it. It the PMC voted
(and assuming the rest of the release policy was followed) and the vote
passed, it is a release. If that didn't happen then it isn't a release.

> The problem is that there is one rule
> for certain projects that have the board's favour and another for
> projects that the board chooses to pick on for unknown reasons.

Please provide some evidence to back up that assertion. I have been
following a reasonable proportion if the discussion around Cordova and
releases and, while I have seen plenty of evidence that the Cordova
community doesn't like the constraints imposed by the ASF release
policy, I have seen no evidence of the board doing anything other than
requiring Cordova to follow the same release policy every other ASF
project is expected to follow.

If you are aware of any other ASF project not following the ASF release
policy then please make the board aware. The board does not actively
monitor the day to day activities of every project. If there are
problems they rely on the VP to make them aware via the quarterly
reports and if that route fails they rely on others in and around the
project to bring the problem to their attention.

> Why isn't a snapshot build a release?

Short answer - because the PMC didn't vote. Long answer - see above.

In this particular case this was not an OpenOffice release because it
was not advertised to the end-user community for that software. It is
perfectly within the intent of the current policy to include members of
dedicated QA and test lists in the same category as members of the dev
list. It is to the credit of the OpenOffice community that they went as
far as checking that their understanding of the policy was correct
before they did anything.

What would not be acceptable would be for OpenOffice to start
advertising snapshots to their end-user community unless votes had taken
place and those snapshots had been formally released.

Mark