www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 20:53:27 GMT
On 22/05/2014 Mark Struberg wrote:
> of course, for 'end-users' it makes not much sense to use snapshots. But
> there is also a huge difference between the people reading the
> openwebbeans user list and the OpenOffice user list.

Yes, but in the case of OpenOffice we reinterpret some of the
assumptions in the policy: the policy (as it is written) implies for
simplicity that "(people active in the) community" = "dev list" and that
"testers" = "developers".

But "developers", as already clarified on board list discussions, should
not be interpreted strictly. It's more like "the project community" (so,
OpenOffice has a dedicated QA mailing list for testers; and those
testers are not developers, strictly speaking, and in many cases they
are not even subscribed to the dev list; but still they are the main
target public of our snapshots builds).

So this could be the occasion to replace "developer community" by
"project community", since that's what is meant there. Of course, the
current wording can stay too, and OpenOffice will continue to interpret
it as it does currently.

Regards,
   Andrea.