www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 20:32:20 GMT
On 22/05/2014 21:27, Mark Struberg wrote:

> On Thursday, 22 May 2014, 21:56, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> *  board@apache is private, and this should be discussed in public.
>> *   The Legal Affairs committee is being asked to curate the policy.
>> *  dev@community.apache.org would have been another possibility, but is not
>>     where Legal Affairs does business.
>

> But this has nothing to do with Legal Affairs. I don't see any legal question around.
> This is more something for the members list imo. This has nothing to do with a discussion
about a legal question but really is 'only' a policy thingy imo.

I disagree. One of the primary reasons for the release policy being
defined as it is is to provide a degree of legal protection to the
release managers. The idea is that if something goes wrong and lawsuits
start flying because of something in a release it is the ASF rather than
the release manager that is the target of those lawsuits. That
protection kicks in because the release policy ensures that releases are
an act of the foundation rather than an act of an individual. Therefore,
it makes sense to me that this is on legal-discuss.

Mark