www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using content from StackOverflow
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 07:33:54 GMT
On 12/05/2014 Mohammad Noureldin wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Mohammad Noureldin wrote:
>>> "Qn: Can an Apache project use content from non ASF sources (forums,
>>> mailing lists, etc...)?"
>> Both "use" and "content" are quite vague. OpenOffice, for example, still
>> hosts on the site and wiki old documentation that is not under ALv2. We
>> don't include it in releases, of course
> Under which license that documentation is ? If you look at [0], you
> will see at the footer "Copyright © 2011-2012 The Apache Software
> Foundation Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0" ...
> [0] http://openoffice.apache.org/

That site is new. Everything there is under ALv2. I was referring to
legacy content on https://wiki.openoffice.org/ and some pre-Apache
portions of the users portal http://www.openoffice.org/ ; licenses
include CC-BY 3, see
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters

> Maybe I widened the scope more than we want ? Maybe, but I want to
> address it in a way that is not related to a certain source of content
> or certain license, otherwise we will end adding a different Q&A for
> each of these sources

While not being a lawyer at all, I still believe that it is too broad to
adopt the same policy for the case of:
- Content that is released (as part of the officially releases sources)
- Content that is somewhere in SVN (like, test documents allowing free
redistribution but not licensed under ALv2)
- Content that is provided as answers to mailing list messages (that may
link to, or quote, an external site)

But I may be totally wrong too! I can't bring any further contributions
to this discussion other than the "real life" case I described.

Regards,
   Andrea.