www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Evan Ward <evan.w...@nrl.navy.mil>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Tue, 06 May 2014 19:26:01 GMT
Hi All,

After a long review by my counsel, going many levels above my head, the
result is still the same: I am not authorized to sign the Apache ICLA.
My agency decided it would not take the NSA's position that the subtlety
of it was not worth arguing over ("de minimis non curat lex").

I can still sign the modified ICLA I proposed earlier that puts all
contributions in the public domain. It seems contradictory that Apache
projects can include public domain works, but Apache will not accept a
public domain ICLA. If I post my public domain work to GitHub and an
Apache commiter commits it, then Apache finds that perfectly acceptable.
If I sign an agreement with Apache placing all of my work in the public
domain and I commit it directly to Apache, then Apache would reject it!
Which situation has less risk? If Apache can accept the public domain
ICLA then we can put all this behind us and get back to coding.

Best Regards,
Evan