www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joseph Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 21:27:47 GMT
Mark Struberg is an army of one when it comes to release policy.  Frankly the custodians of
the policy are not subscribed to this list so I'm puzzled as to why it's being kicked around
here.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 22, 2014, at 5:18 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>

> "But the point already got covered and answered dozens of times imo. The answer is that
the ALv2 protects the foundation and also the release manager already for all bona fides cases.
End of story."

> Interesting for myself to note that it was communicated very directly to Cordova that
this *was not* the case. Votes are a necessary component for a valid (aka legal) release.
Also interesting for me to discover in this thread that the release policy is not adhered
to by all ASF projects. We were lead to believe the rules are immutable, all projects obey
them. End of story.

> I am dismayed to discover this is not the case and Cordova was singled out.
>
> However, clarity here is a great starting to amending the rules, and I recognize this
effort is not forum for that. My perspective: the vote is a SHOULD and most certainly SHA
verifciation SHOULD be the job of a computer (aka CI system) and not a human and I am very
happy to hear there is precedent for this with other projects.