www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chipchild...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuous release review
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 14:28:57 GMT
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 03:22:04PM +0100, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> Hey I'm not saying that we can cut out the social bits at all. I am just
> saying that we need to consider them separately.
>
> There is the legal stuff which covers our ass and - while annoying - is
> acceptable to remain as some minimal manual steps.
>
> There is the social stuff which prevents our blushes. For complex projects
> this type of thing may need more than 72 hours worth of testing. For
> example it can be hard to get the full confidence in a Maven release in
> just 72 hours of testing... despite having a good suite of integration
> tests... For more complex projects, e.g. Cassandra, the testing
> requirements are much more.
>
> I don't think we can remove the social stuff... but we can make it a lot
> less mundane. Having a CI system do a large chunk of the work is a good way
> to do this... Then again I always argue that you need to retain at least
> one manual test to try and stop the "well the selenium tests still found
> the bits of the UI they were looking for because they were on the page...
> just down at the bottom underneath the big ugly stack trace" kinds of bugs
> from slipping into the released product.

+1 to these thoughts Stephen.  CloudStack, as an example, uses CI quite
a bit...  but as *ALSO* have a very active push for everyone to test the
release candidate in their local environments.  For some, this is just a
local VM where the software simulates managed hardware.  For others, this
is a full lab environment with 500+ servers and other hardware devices.

The social part is key here...  the call for votes is something that
should be loudly promoted as a chance for the community to rally around
the testing process...  and the engagement that ensues is one of the
most powerful tools we have to get new people engaged (especially in
transitioning a user to a tester, if they aren't a coder).

-chip