www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 16:11:12 GMT
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 09:03:01PM -0700, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
[...]
> Your lawyers are making a mountain out of a molehill. Is yours the only US
> government department that objects to Apache's  long-held contribution
> requirements? Or do we have a bigger problem with US government agencies that
> we need to address more broadly?

I have come to believe as a result of threads like this -- which have
counterparts in non-ASF projects I've had involvement in as a lawyer
-- that there *is* a big problem with IP lawyers for US government
agencies in relation to open source. They appear to be all over the
place on issues of this sort; each agency seems to have a different
interpretation of what 17 USC 105 even means and how it relates, if at
all, to something like the Apache ICLA or the Apache License 2.0
itself.

 - RF