www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Release Policy
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 21:04:29 GMT
> I disagree. One of the primary reasons for the release policy being
> defined as it is is to provide a degree of legal protection to the
> release managers.

Oki this is a part which we can discuss on the legal list. But the point already got covered
and answered dozens of times imo. The answer is that the ALv2 protects the foundation and
also the release manager already for all bona fides cases. End of story.

Otoh if someone acts mala fide and e.g willingly adds a backdoor to some of our code and releases
it then he can be sued (if you can prove the fact) - but even then this has nothing to do
if the link to our public repo got shared on a dev@a.o list or a users@a.o list...

Don't get me wrong - cleaning up and getting our release policy straight is an important thing.
But imo it's more a question of the policy we *like* to set and not so much about legal rules
which do bind us and we need to take care of.

LieGrue,
strub