www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using content from StackOverflow
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 12:47:40 GMT
> On 27/04/2014 22:09, Chip Childers wrote:
> It seems like most of the talk about using StackOverflow is for end user
> support.  Would it make more sense to adjust the answer to "yes for end
> user support, but not for project contributions"?

User support can involve code. For many projects, there are lots of people
on SO who are not on the dev list, but who know a lot about the project,
and who offer support on it on SO. These people may well end up posting
code which fixes bugs, provides a testcase, provides an enhancement etc. I
believe it's these kinds of code snippets that are of interest, which is
where this kind of debate stems from.

(If someone contributed a test case or enhancement in the course of
support on one of our mailing lists, then there's clauses in the Apache
license that cover it. The problem with SO is that these code snippets
aren't covered by that, but are by default covered by the SO license which
isn't by compatible)

Nick