www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing: exception for allowing Apache SIS to bundle EPSG data?
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:05:02 GMT
IIUC, Clause 2 refers to the EPSG facilities. Although what "Distribution
for profit is forbidden" is a bit vague to me. IMO your question revolves
around Clause 6, which seems to explain the terms and restrictions of how
the EPSG data can be used.

Clauses 6.3, 6.6, and 6.7 all describe restrictions on the EPSG data -- and
they pose problems for including EPSG in SIS.

If EPSG was software, I would say that EPSG could not be included in Apache
SIS, because of these restrictions. I see no reason why we should treat
EPSG differently, because EPSG is "data".

So, my question to EPSG would be -- could you make EPSG data available
under a license which does not impose these restrictions on use,
modification, and redistribution?

If the answer is no, then the next question for SIS to ask is -- can we
make the EPSG data optional? And allow users to download the EPSG data,
themselves, if they desire?

If the answer to these are no, then you would ask -- can we include EPSG
data in SIS, even though the data has the restrictions described in clause
6? I would be inclined to say No. Other opinions my vary...

--kevan