www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE file question
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 05:04:11 GMT
Hi Alex

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by some of what I'm learning from discussion threads
> and policy documents.
>
> Scenario:
>
> The proposed FlexUnit source release includes source code that originates
> from Adobe under BSD.  These source files have not yet been donated to
> Apache.
>
> A recent thread says that for a source release, the BSD license does not
> go in LICENSE and the BSD license requirements are satisfied by the BSD
> license and copyright in the headers of these third-party files.

Pointer to the discussion? Based on your description, I would disagree.

> Meanwhile, the Licensing How-To [1] also says: "In LICENSE, add a pointer
> to the dependency's license" but the paragraph seems to be referring to
> dependencies that are essentially entire libraries, consumed untouched.  In
> this case, FlexUnit (version 4.x) is a next-generation, mostly re-written
> version that includes a subset of the Adobe BSD files.  In the current
> release candidate, the fact that there are Adobe BSD files in the
> distribution is not mentioned in README, LICENSE or NOTICE.  You won't find
> out until you open one of the Adobe BSD files.

"Dependencies" may be more the norm, these days, but the instructions still
hold.

Personally, I prefer to see the license in the LICENSE file (and not a
pointer). However, if the licensing information is made clear to our users
and we're meeting the terms/requirements of the ALv2 license and any other
license that is part of your release, then all is good.

A related question is: is a "dependency" the same as a third-party work?
>  IOW, are the Adobe BSD files in the source kit that are also checked into
> the repo still considered a dependency?

No. IMO, "dependency" refers to software that is not directly part of your
project.

--kevan