www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Using content from StackOverflow
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:22:53 GMT
While listening to the Apache board meeting, I heard that projects are
considering using StackOverflow instead of user mailing lists. I wanted to
raise a licensing issue, and suggest a FAQ item regarding use of
StackOverflow.

The issue is that StackOverflow, and associated sites, use the CC-SA
license for user submitted content, including any code. This is a strong
copyleft license and as such unlikely to be in "Category A" (ie: content we
include inside Apache project source).

I propose we add the following FAQ to cover this:

"Qn: Can an Apache project use content from StackOverflow?"

"Ans: If the content is clearly being intentionally submitted to the
project, then the project can use that content under the Apache 2.0 license
per clause 5 of the Apache 2.0 license, and the StackOverflow license need
not apply to our use. Otherwise, the project need to confirm with the
author of the content that it is intended for submission to the project, at
which point they can use the content under the Apache 2.0 license per the
above. "

Thoughts?

Hen

[Note - neither this email nor any of my emails on legal-discuss@ are legal
advice, and I’m not speaking for my employer.]