www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Using content from StackOverflow
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:13:37 GMT
The expectation is we only accept code which is volunteered and donated.
Such code on the "dev" lists are assumed to be; not so much on the users@ ones

On Apr 28, 2014, at 8:47 AM, Nick Burch <nick@apache.org> wrote:

>> On 27/04/2014 22:09, Chip Childers wrote:
>> It seems like most of the talk about using StackOverflow is for end user
>> support.  Would it make more sense to adjust the answer to "yes for end
>> user support, but not for project contributions"?
>
> User support can involve code. For many projects, there are lots of people on SO who
are not on the dev list, but who know a lot about the project, and who offer support on it
on SO. These people may well end up posting code which fixes bugs, provides a testcase, provides
an enhancement etc. I believe it's these kinds of code snippets that are of interest, which
is where this kind of debate stems from.

> (If someone contributed a test case or enhancement in the course of support on one of
our mailing lists, then there's clauses in the Apache license that cover it. The problem with
SO is that these code snippets aren't covered by that, but are by default covered by the SO
license which isn't by compatible)