www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.fr>
Subject Licensing: exception for allowing Apache SIS to bundle EPSG data?
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:24:02 GMT
Hello all

In ApacheCon last week, I had an opportunity to talk with some peoples
about how we could resolve LEGAL-183 and I have been told that I may
have to ask for an exception on this mailing list. The issue is that we
would like to bundle EPSG data together with Apache SIS. EPSG conditions
[2] allow distribution for profit in any commercial package (clause 6.3)
provided that commerciality is based on value added by the provider. In
other words, users are not allowed to sell the EPSG data *alone*. But
they are allowed to sell EPSG data + Apache SIS (or + their own product).

All major commercial and open source softwares in geographic domain
bundle the EPSG data, while I'm not sure that all of them paid attention
to the licensing terms. Can we make an exception in licensing terms for
SIS saying that users are not allowed to sell the content of the
"core/sis-referencing/src/main/resources/org/apache/sis/referencing/epsg" directory
*alone*, that they have to keep this directory with something else
(presumably at least the Apache SIS code which read that directory) if
they want to sell?

    Martin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-183
[2] http://www.epsg-registry.org/help/xml/Terms_Of_Use.html