www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject LICENSE file question
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 04:39:03 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm a bit confused by some of what I'm learning from discussion threads and policy documents.

Scenario:

The proposed FlexUnit source release includes source code that originates from Adobe under
BSD.  These source files have not yet been donated to Apache.

A recent thread says that for a source release, the BSD license does not go in LICENSE and
the BSD license requirements are satisfied by the BSD license and copyright in the headers
of these third-party files.

Meanwhile, the Licensing How-To [1] also says: "In LICENSE, add a pointer to the dependency's
license" but the paragraph seems to be referring to dependencies that are essentially entire
libraries, consumed untouched.  In this case, FlexUnit (version 4.x) is a next-generation,
mostly re-written version that includes a subset of the Adobe BSD files.  In the current release
candidate, the fact that there are Adobe BSD files in the distribution is not mentioned in
README, LICENSE or NOTICE.  You won't find out until you open one of the Adobe BSD files.

A related question is: is a "dependency" the same as a third-party work?  IOW, are the Adobe
BSD files in the source kit that are also checked into the repo still considered a dependency?

Thanks,
-Alex

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html