www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject File Headers
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2014 04:30:38 GMT
I have a question about third-party source files as described in:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party

Company A develops is a set of files that comprise version 1 of a software
product.
The source code is made available under BSD.
Company B takes this source code and creates a whole new version.
New files are added.
Some of Company A's files are modified significantly.
Some of Company A's files are not modified at all.

Company B donates the entire set of source code to Apache.

Clearly, the new files get Apache Headers and Company B goes in the NOTICE
file.
I want to verify that we should not change the headers for Company A's
files that weren't modified.
And I want to understand what the options are for the files that were
significantly modified.
Is it the PMC's decision as to whether to change the header or are we
supposed to consult this list first?

Since in theory we cannot move Company A's copyright to the NOTICE file,
is there an option to put in the Apache Header and leave the Company A
header underneath or above it?

Or is this not that hard of a question because we should leave Company A's
header and put Company A and Company B in the NOTICE and since most of the
code will have AL headers folks will read the NOTICE and realize there is
some mixing of licenses and copyrights in some of these files?

Thanks,
-Alex