www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 22:29:55 GMT
Hi Evan,

Thanks. It's not really a black and white "If Apache is unwilling.."
All some folks have stated is that in the past this issue has come up
several times and each and every time ranging from individual contributor
(e.g., me, or folks from JPL or another NASA center, or e.g., folks from
NSA),
to even large  government agency (e.g., NSA, or NASA, or JPL) these
participants
have signed the original ICLA or CCLA without modification.

Given that, you can imagine the precedent that already exists and
is in place. I'm not sure if I can fully alleviate your concern
that you're doing something dishonest by signing the ICLA. Many
other government employees (individuals) as well as a few government
agencies have already decided that as a whole, they are not, and
proceeded. Based on that, I personally do not think you would be
doing anything dishonest by signing the ICLA, no more so than those
individuals that have done so already and those agencies that have
filed CCLAs with the ASF for their named contributors to participate.

Cheers,
Chris