www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:10:55 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Evan Ward <evan.ward@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> As Luc, said I can post the contributions to github (or JIRA) and make
> clear that the project as a whole is under the Apache License, and my
> patches are in the public domain. Then based on the Apache's legal FAQ
> and Larry's earlier comments Apache is both able and glad to accept the
> contributions.

If you can do this, then you can sign an ICLA and commit these changes
directly.  When you attach to Jira, intentionally submitting to an
Apache-licensed project, you agree to the same terms as the ICLA.
What makes you think these are different?

> As I mentioned before, If someone from Apache wants to talk directly to
> the people here with the power to make a decision, I can provide contact
> information.

You do not need your employer's permission to sign an ICLA.  You need
your employer's permission to contribute software under the Apache
License.  Once you have that permission, whether you choose to attach
to Jira or sign an ICLA and commit directly makes no legal difference
to you or to your employer.

Doug