www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2014 19:31:51 GMT
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Evan Ward <evan.ward@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> Sorry for the slow reply. I've asked our legal department to reconsider
> the ICLA in light of our discussion here.

You don't need your employer's permission to sign an ICLA.  The
agreement is between you as an individual and the ASF.  It outlasts
and is independent of your employment.

You need your employer's permission to contribute work they've paid
for to the ASF.  Whether you've signed an ICLA or not, the permission
is the same.  Without the ICLA you're submitting under the Apache
license, which has the same intent as the ICLA.

> Otherwise I'm ready to throw in the towel. I think we all agree that not
> signing the ICLA does not prevent me from continuing to make public
> domain contributions.

We do not all agree on this point.  If you really cannot sign an ICLA
then you should probably not make contributions either.  However I
think everyone here but you agrees that you can in fact both sign the
ICLA and contribute if your employer desires you to contribute your
work to Apache.

Doug