www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:50:38 GMT
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Luc Maisonobe <luc@spaceroots.org> wrote:

> Can't we just "reword" (not change the spirit, just change the words)
> our ICLA/CCLA to make explicit the fact we do not ask people to own the
> work they contribute but simply can contribute. And no, I do not agree
> with the fact it is already what is written in the CLA. I agree it is
> the spirit of the CLA, but this spirit is worded in such a way some
> picky people (like myself, Evan or the lawyers at NRL) find it does not
> cover properly the case of public domain.

The license already covers this situation.  It just doesn't cover it in the
first clause.

See clause 4:

4. You represent that you are legally entitled to grant the above
   license. If your employer(s) has rights to intellectual property
   that you create that includes your Contributions, you represent
   that you have received permission to make Contributions on behalf
   of that employer, that your employer has waived such rights for
   your Contributions to the Foundation, or that your employer has
   executed a separate Corporate CLA with the Foundation.

and clause 7:

7. Should You wish to submit work that is not Your original creation,
   You may submit it to the Foundation separately from any
   Contribution, identifying the complete details of its source and of
   any license or other restriction (including, but not limited to,
   related patents, trademarks, and license agreements) of which you
   are personally aware, and conspicuously marking the work as
   "Submitted on behalf of a third-party: [named here]".

How doe these not cover Evan's situation?  Especially clause 7?

> > However I
> > think everyone here but you agrees that you can in fact both sign the
> > ICLA and contribute if your employer desires you to contribute your
> > work to Apache.
>
> Sorry, I'm on Evan's side here, he is not alone.

You are clearly correct.  He is not alone.

I still contend that he is over-worrying this issue.