www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2014 22:04:20 GMT
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Evan Ward <evan.ward@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> 4. Does the Apache ICLA require that copyright exists in the Contribution?
>
> Yes. It reads "You hereby grant ... copyright license to ... Your
> Contributions" and "You represent that you are legally entitled to grant
> the above license." There are no exceptions. (Section 7 does not apply
> because my contributions are my original creation.) In order to grant a
> copyright license to a work, copyright must exist in the work.

NO.

See section 7.

7. Should You wish to submit work that is not Your original creation,
> You may submit it to the Foundation separately from any
> Contribution, identifying the complete details of its source and of
> any license or other restriction (including, but not limited to,
> related patents, trademarks, and license agreements) of which you
> are personally aware, and conspicuously marking the work as
> "Submitted on behalf of a third-party: [named here]".

The public domain submissions can have their public domain status
highlighted.  "Your original creation" here refers to work that you have
copyright over.  As you have stated, you don't have this.  Thus, you submit
under section 7 and add

- origin - you did this work as an employee of the US Government

- license - public domain

- related patents, etc, - you have to fill this in

- conspicuously marked - "Submitted on behalf of a third-party: US
Government"

Where's the problem?