www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:43:22 GMT
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Evan Ward <evan.ward@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> The helpful lawyers here have informed me that I don't have the
> authority to make the agreements spelled out in the original ICLA.

I will state that many such helpful lawyers have made similar assertions.
Lawyers employed by both private companies and in the public sector.  And
each time that I can recall, each of those lawyers came to a different
conclusion.

> think signing it would be dishonest, both towards Apache and my
> employer.

I would not encourage you to do anything dishonest.  I will again state
that we have many, many contributors who have been told by their helpful
lawyers the same thing your helpful lawyer told you.  And after going back
and working with their lawyer, came back with a different conclusion.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  While it is clearly not a parallel situation (I am not in the public
sector), I will state that I am amongst those who was initially told by my
employer the exact same thing that you were told, namely that I do not have
the authority to make the agreements spelled out in the ICLA.  I was
persistent, and ultimately prevailed.