www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions regarding licence and notice doc in an ASF product
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:32:59 GMT
Hi All,

In current build approach in the OFBiz project we provide all the
(external) jars the users need to run the OFBiz product in their own
environment. Our LICENCE doc that we include in the downloads start with:

The source code that makes up The Apache Open For Business Project
(Apache OFBiz) and the majority of the libraries distributed with it
are licensed under the Apache License Version 2.0.

Other licenses used by libraries distributed with Apache OFBiz are
listed below.
This file includes a list of all libraries distributed with Apache OFBiz
and the full text of the license used for each.

For additional details, see the NOTICE file.

And lists subsequently per licence (it included the description of the
licence) the libraries included and where these can be found.

Now we are investigating the incorporation of Apache IVY  to act as the
solution (dependency manager) to have our users download these libraries
themselves (based on the definitions we provide) in stead of us injecting
these in the build and zip process for the downloads. This will reduce not
only our workload, but also will diminish our the hardware resource
requirements as an Apache projects (storage mainly as we don't need the
store these libraries in nightly builds, etc anymore).

The question I have is this:

   - If we do implement the IVY dependency management functionality in our
   product and we don't provide the libraries any more, are we then still
   obliged to maintain and provide this list of jars and their licences in our
   product (even if we don't supply these, but offer a means for the user to
   get them), or can we reduce the list to only those libraries that we do
   provide?

The other aspect is related to the NOTICE doc referenced above. This
provides additonal insights regarding the libraries mentioned in the
LICENCE doc, such as:

==  Apache Ant Notice                                                  ==
This product includes also software developed by :
  - the W3C consortium (http://www.w3c.org) ,
  - the SAX project (http://www.saxproject.org)

The <sync> task is based on code Copyright (c) 2002, Landmark Graphics Corp
that has been kindly donated to the Apache Software
Foundation.

==  Freemarker Notice                                                  ==
This product includes software developed by the Visigoth Software Society (
http://www.visigoths.org/).

The question related to this NOTICE doc is:

   - If we do implement the IVY dependency management functionality in our
   product and we don't provide the libraries any more and the LICENCE doc can
   be amended to reflect this (as questioned above), are we then still obliged
   to maintain and provide this NOTICE doc as it currently is, or can amend
   this doc also to reflect the new approach?

Regards,

Pierre Smits
OFBiz contributor