www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:31:37 GMT
On Mar 7, 2014, at 11:02 AM, Evan Ward <evan.ward@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On 03/06/2014 05:16 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>>
>> Evan,
>>
>> Doesn't the ICLA put the onus on you to decide what you have the right to contribute
and what you don't have the right to contribute?  Isn't that a sufficient carve-out?

> I know I have the "right to contribute", but I don't have the right to grant a copyright
license. In that way I don't think it is a sufficient carve-out. What happens when I have
all the necessary permissions to contribute something, but I don't have the authority to copyright
it?

So what? Nothing changes.  The point of granting the copyright is to allow others to modify
the code.  If there is no copyright to grant as far as I know the effect is exactly the same.

What I having trouble understanding is how you can contribute if you aren’t willing to sign
the ICLA. Although you may not have one on file, when you submit patches to projects you are
implicitly abiding by it because your contribution falls under the Apache license.  (See section
2 of http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html).

Ralph