www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Evan Ward <evan.w...@nrl.navy.mil>
Subject Re: ICLA US Government
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:19:49 GMT

On 03/06/2014 05:29 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) wrote:
> Hi Evan,
>
> Thanks. It's not really a black and white "If Apache is unwilling.."
> All some folks have stated is that in the past this issue has come up
> several times and each and every time ranging from individual contributor
> (e.g., me, or folks from JPL or another NASA center, or e.g., folks from
> NSA),
> to even large  government agency (e.g., NSA, or NASA, or JPL) these
> participants
> have signed the original ICLA or CCLA without modification.

True. I would like to know the details of how the government agency
approved it. Maybe then it would provide some additional evidence for
the lawyers here. From what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong)
JPL/Caltech could sign because they are contractors, not federal
employees. As I'm sure you know, NASA had to develop a special license,
the NOSA, that works without copyright in order to make software written
by their federal employees open source.

I'm still curious what convinced the NSA General Consul in LEGAL-100.
Anybody know?

> Given that, you can imagine the precedent that already exists and
> is in place. I'm not sure if I can fully alleviate your concern
> that you're doing something dishonest by signing the ICLA. Many
> other government employees (individuals) as well as a few government
> agencies have already decided that as a whole, they are not, and
> proceeded. Based on that, I personally do not think you would be
> doing anything dishonest by signing the ICLA, no more so than those
> individuals that have done so already and those agencies that have
> filed CCLAs with the ASF for their named contributors to participate.

I didn't mean to imply anything about other government committers. I'm
just trying to do what's right in this case.

Best Regards,
Evan