www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Evan Ward <evan.w...@nrl.navy.mil>
Subject ICLA US Government
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:11:06 GMT
Hi,

I was recently invited to be a committer for apache commons. Since I
have made all my contributions as a government employee (and plan to
continue to do so) I ran the ICLA by our legal department.

As far as I can tell, the fundamental issue is that my work, by itself,
can not be licensed, because there is no copyright. This means that I
can't agree to statements like "You represent that you are legally
entitled to grant the above license."

After reading LEGAL-100 it seems that the ICLA's definition of "you" (as
the copyright owner) excludes me or my employer since no one can own a
copyright that does not exist.

Are these interpretations correct? Since everything I do is by law in
the public domain, why I need an ICLA?

Best Regards,

Evan Ward
Naval Research Laboratory