www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: License Footer
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:17:12 GMT
On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:10:52AM -0800, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Alerx Harui wrote:
> > IANAL, but my company's legal team has advised us to put
> > legal stuff before content so it makes it harder for someone
> > to argue that they didn't see the legal stuff.
>
> When you work for a company, DO WHAT YOUR COMPANY LAWYER TELLS YOU TO DO!
>
> As for Apache software, I repeat: There is no legal reason to put the legal
> stuff before content. No reason at all! It neither adds to nor detracts from
> the legal protections afforded to the software.
>
> In fact, including that "legal stuff" in the source code at the end is much
> better than not including it at all.

Putting the legal header at the top is now quite conventional, but
I've noticed that in relatively old code (1990s-vintage) you sometimes
instead see the legal notice at the bottom of the file.

I don't think there's any good excuse for failing to see a legal
notice merely because it wasn't at the top of the file.

 - Richard