www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Clarifying CCLA as an optional document
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:28:37 GMT
I guess the main issue is that the ASF expects and requires an iCLA
for all committers; it is a pre-requisite for getting commit privs.
The CCLA is optional and the ASF itself makes no determination
on whether a corp or an individual requires one; the most typical
use-case are those when employees have agreements which state
that, for example, all IP developed by an employee (whether on their
own time or not) is property of the corp, or anything developed on
a work computer is property of the corp, etc...

Maybe something to that effect would also go a long way in providing
some more clarity.

On Mar 20, 2014, at 1:34 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> I seem to receive enquiries about the CCLA a number of times a year. I'm sure others
also get these enquiries. In the majority of these cases I point out that the CCLA is optional
but the iCLA is required (for committers). Occasionally my assurance is not sufficient (me
being a non-lawyer and all that).

> It would be good to have an official statement to point to. With that in mind, does anyone
object to me making the following edit to http://www.apache.org/licenses/ Specifically, I've
added the sentence "The submission of a Corporate CLA is optional." all other text is unchanged.

> "For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache project, a Corporate
CLA (CCLA) is available for contributing intellectual property via the corporation, that may
have been assigned as part of an employment agreement. The submission of a Corporate CLA is
optional. Note that a Corporate CLA does not remove the need for every developer to sign their
own CLA as an individual, to cover any of their contributions which are not owned by the corporation
signing the CCLA."