www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: License Footer
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2014 16:10:52 GMT
Alerx Harui wrote:
> IANAL, but my company's legal team has advised us to put
> legal stuff before content so it makes it harder for someone
> to argue that they didn't see the legal stuff.

When you work for a company, DO WHAT YOUR COMPANY LAWYER TELLS YOU TO DO!

As for Apache software, I repeat: There is no legal reason to put the legal
stuff before content. No reason at all! It neither adds to nor detracts from
the legal protections afforded to the software.

In fact, including that "legal stuff" in the source code at the end is much
better than not including it at all.

I respond to this email publicly so that any Apache lawyer who disagrees can
respond publicly and set the record straight.

/Larry