www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: ICLA US Government
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:32:04 GMT
Evan,

It always shames the legal profession when lawyers – particularly government or big company
lawyers – parse the words of typical FOSS agreements so as to create the maximum degree
of confusion and delay.

Here's what our ICLA says: ""You hereby grant ... [a] copyright license to ... Your Contributions."
As far as the Foundation is concerned, we're happy for you to sign that even if you don't
actually own any copyrights, so long as you're not giving us someone else's copyrighted works
without their permission. That's all we mean! Perhaps the ICLA could be phrased better, but
only a government lawyer would doubt our meaning given what "open source" and Apache is about.
And only a government (or a giant company) lawyer would demand that ASF negotiate a change
to an ICLA that has been in constant use for years.

The Foundation protects itself from the ambiguity you noted by requiring, in that same ICLA,
that "you represent that you have received permission to make Contributions from your employer"
(which you apparently already have!) and that "you are legally entitled to grant the above
license" (which – considering that the work itself is public domain – you are!).

And given that your government attorneys are acknowledging that the work itself is public
domain, what in the world does the government or you risk by giving it to Apache under an
ICLA or in a ribbon-wrapped package? Do you realize that, if we were so inclined, we could
reach into the government with a FOIA request and probably claim that software even without
your cooperation! :-)

Lawyers, please let's not negotiate changes to words that don't really matter.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482