www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF patent / legal help
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 17:51:03 GMT
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
>> Does Apache offer legal help due to patent infringement claims on ASF software?
>
> I imagine the answer is "it depends, but probably not", moreover any
> more detail would likely not be discussed in public on this list.

I'll risk a bit more detail: if someone lost (not settled) a patent
infringement lawsuit over something that was clearly Apache software,
then Apache would likely alter that software to not infringe, as it
would not want to distribute software to users that's been legally
proven to infringe.  Short of that, I would be surprised if Apache
were to get involved in lawsuits that it is not party to.

Doug