www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Include build tool source?
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 06:18:50 GMT
Kevan,

Do you have any specific keywords to search for. The Googling and
reading I've done have pointed me very much to the opposite
conclusion. Specifically [1] seems to suggest that this is acceptable.
The questions posed in the FAQ:

1. Is it customarily part of distributions of running code?

No. Rebar is a standard build tool and is not tied to the running
program by any means. Rebar is only required during the compilation
phase.

2. Has it been around for years and a de facto standard in its
respective community?

Yes. Its ~4 years old [2] and is the de facto standard for building Erlang
projects. Its even customarily checked into Erlang project source
repositories and has no real distribution beyond being included in
VCS.

3. Is it made available under "library" or "lesser" licenses or
otherwise containing an exception which ensures that usage of this
tool does not affect the license of the code against which it is run?

Yes. Its ASL 2.0.

There's no question of source level compatibility here. Its just a
procedural question. Do we really need to include the source and have
a build step to build the build tool to build the project? Given the
tool's license and the cited FAQ I would've thought this would be
acceptable for inclusion. I haven't been able to find anything to the
contrary but that is quite possibly just because I don't know what I
should be looking for.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools
[2] https://github.com/rebar/rebar/commit/b7e2088c273708bd5ce46b3c135c20f2229c7ccf