www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating compiler stubs
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:39:13 GMT
Hi,

my employer, Software AG, is (as the name indicates), a german software
vendor. In the past, I have started one or two very minor open source
projects, which are related to the stuff I am working with. These projects
haven't been very successful, mostly due to the following problem:

- To compile the software (and build the project), access to the installed
product (more precisely: some so-called jar files) is required.
- These jar files are containing a signature, thus describing an API,
roughly comparable to C header files (as known from the SCO/Linux, or
Oracle/Android lawsuits). Unlike C header files, jar files usually carry
more than the signature, thus are clearly copyrightable.)

My idea would be to initiate a project, that could create (and perhaps
distribute via the Maven repository) stub jar files: The idea being that
these stub files are standard jar files with the same signature than the
originals, but no implementation.

My question is: How's that from the legal view? Could such a project live
within the ASF?

Thanks in advance,

Jochen

--
"That's what prayers are ... it's frightened people trying to make friends
with the bully!"

Terry Pratchett. The Last Hero