www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Am I allowed to generate, enhance and republish a JavaDoc of an Apache project?
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:41:35 GMT
Hello,

For one (of many) of the Apache projects that I use, I am very
frustrated that Google cannot find the officially-hosted Javadocs.

I am not sure why, but I think this could be an interesting area for
experimentation. So I want to do following things (as a mini-project),
in the increasing level of complexity/effort and see if that will make
discovering relevant information easier. The goal is to publish
information on the web under my own space and experiment with SEO,
Analytics, etc.

My question for all of the things below is whether any of them violate
the Apache License, Version 2.0 under which the source is published
and whether I need to propagate the license mention itself.

1) Regenerate the JavaDoc with all the multiple packages/partitions
merged together but otherwise unchanged? Current official javadocs
have license text generated, do I need to do that too?
2) Generate the JavaDoc using different options and/or custom doclets
that would enhance output with things like internal cross-links?
3) Generate the JavaDoc+JavaDoc-generated Source. This will obviously
keep the licence in the file, but are there extra issues?
4) Generate the JavaDoc also with links to external sources, possibly
using affiliate links for things like books? Basically a
commercialization of the additional curation effort (one can dream).

I know various website do republish these kinds of things. But I want
to be clear and in compliance before I start on this project, out of
several others.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)