www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Foundation relationships with publishing bodies
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:14:47 GMT
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney
<lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although I have not been around as long as many many others, I have not
> spent years of my life contributing under the foundation model only for
> people to snatch the content, wrap their name around it, package it and ship
> it as if it is their product, time and effort.

Attribution is important, but so long as it is satisfied, philosophically
such usage is in harmony with our mission.

    http://httpd.apache.org/ABOUT_APACHE.html#why-free

    We want to see Apache Software used very widely -- by large companies,
    small companies, research institutions, schools, individuals, in the
    intranet environment, everywhere -- even though this may mean that
    companies who could afford commercial software, and would pay for it
    without blinking, might get a "free ride" by using Apache.

It would be nice if commercial republishers added value rather than mucking
things up with poor aggregation and editing, but that's for the free market to
sort out.

In any case, it's still our software and documentation that the conversation
is about, rather than somebody else's.  I think a lot of us find that
rewarding.

Marvin Humphrey